Augmented Reality MF DOOM Mask NFTs Are Up for Auction
The signed collectibles will benefit the late hip-hop icon's estate
Published Mar 12, 2021Days before his 2020 passing, MF DOOM entered the world of NFT digital collectibles with a collection of augmented reality masks inspired by his own face covering. Now, the works from what proved to be one of the hip-hop icon's final collaborations are being auctioned once more in support of the late artist's estate.
Seven AR masks are presently available to bid on through non-fungible token marketplace Illust Space until 7 p.m. ET tonight (10 p.m. PT). The pieces have a current estimated value between 10 to 50 Ether (ETH), shaking out to between $15,000-$75,000 USD.
The crown jewel of the lot is the "Black Sludge" mask variant seen above, a holdover from the October auction event that currently commands a bid of 3.8 ETH as of press time.
Illust Space is hosting the auction in collaboration with MF DOOM's wife Jasmine and the estate, and the artist's early aughts label home Rhymesayers Entertainment. The "Black Sludge" mask will see 90 percent proceeds go the estate, while the other masks have a 10 percent royalty return rate.
You can view the masks — and try them on yourself using a webcam — through Illust Space here.
Exclaim! recently explored how Canadian artists are entering the NFT art market.
MF DOOM passed away last October, with the news of his death arriving on the final day of 2020. Following news of his death, the artist's streaming numbers exploded by 870 percent.